Saturday night a friend of mine was lamenting about how she wished she could get a degree in biblical counseling. Having survived 4 years of undergraduate training and 1 semester of graduate level training in biblical counseling I consoled her with this thought: if you read the right books you will have all the training a degree could ever get you (thanks, Good Will Hunting). So I promised to come up with a list of the top 10 biblical counseling books for her to read and I thought I would share it with you…here it is:
* The Journal of Biblical Counseling CD’s. I didn’t include this as a book, but those CDs are pumped full of wisdom and godly insight into so many different situations. I honestly don’t know what I would do without mine. Anytime a situation comes up it is the first place I go to.
10. Blame it on the Brain by Ed Welch
9. Psychobabble by Richard Ganz and John MacArthur
8. The Crisis of Caring by Jerry Bridges
7. How Can I Change? by Robin Boisvert and C.J. Mahaney
6. How People Change by Tim Lane and Paul Tripp
5. Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick
4. When People are Big and God is Small by Ed Welch
3. Battling Unbelief by John Piper
2. Holiness by Grace by Bryan Chapell
and the number one book for biblical counseling (in my humble opinion)…..
1. Seeing with New Eyes by David Powlison
This is just the top 10. There are many other books that are helpful regarding specific topics, but I felt this was really helpful in giving an overview of biblical counseling and different broad categories of topics to deal with. Any suggestions, comments, concerns, or thoughts to improve this list would be greatly appreciated!