Well, folks. Here is the post you have all been looking forward to. I know you’ve been on the edge of your seat with graduation just around the corner and summertime fast approaching. I can only imagine the nights you’ve laid awake just wondering when I would finally post my Summer 2008 Mix. Well, tonight I bring glad tidings of great joy: TIL Summer 2008 is here!
Things you should know about my mix-making beliefs:
Song # 1 should always start the mix off with a bang, creating excitement and anticipation for what’s to come.
Songs #2-4 are important. They should be songs you like, but you don’t want to give up your best stuff too soon if you catch my drift.
Song # 5 should always be the best song on the CD. That’s just a given.
Songs #5-8 should be much like Romans- the sparkling gem inside a beautiful ring. These are the big power players of the mix.
Beyond 8 it’s really downhill. These should be songs you like, but can live without because oftentimes you won’t get this far. But inevitably ever mix lasts longer than 8 songs so you do what you can.
At the very end you want to put some heavy hitters as well, to motivate you to get to the end of the mix.
And the lineup is:
1. New Soul – Yael Naïm
2. Oh, It Is Love – Hellogoodbye
3. Don’t Stop the Music – Rihanna (have you SEEN the American Idol Gives Back performance to this?)
4. Bleeding Love – Leona Lewis (graphic lyrics, true. good voice and great tune trump creepy lyrics)
5. The Way I Am – Ingrid Michaelson (What is not to LIKE about this song?! Honestly!)
6. Fidelity – Regina Spektor (it breaks my…he-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-art…)
7. You’re My Better Half – Keith Urban (I sure am, Keith)
8. Let It Be Me – Rosie Thomas (LOVE Rosie. She is one of my newest discoveries and I can’t get enough)
9. Carry Me Through – Dave Barnes
10. Perfect – Jon McLaughlin (No, you’re perfect Jon)
11. Teardrops on My Guitar – Taylor Swift
12. Dreams Collide – Colbie Caillat
13. The Heart of Life – John Mayer
14. This Boy – James Morrison
15. 100 Years – Five for Fighting
16. We Belong Together – Gavin DeGraw
17. Girl Next Door – Saving Jane (I love the angry girl rock with a twist- no longer angry at boys but now at other girls!)
18. Our Song – Taylor Swift
19. No Good Without You – Tyrone Wells (what would a summer mix be without Tyrone?)
20. Human – Jon McLaughlin
21. What Am I To You? – Norah Jones
22. No Other Way – Jack Johnson (a summer mix REALLY wouldn’t be a summer mix without Jack)
23. Industry – Jon McLaughlin
24. Fix You – Coldplay
25. Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley (I can’t figure out what this song is about, but it’s beautiful and always seems so….moving)
26. All My Life – Rosie Thomas
27. No Such Thing – John Mayer (ahhh, the return of John’s original hit. The one we all fell in love with and never hear anymore. I’m bringing it back)