One of the things that brings the gospel into fresh light for me is thinking of all the things that I’m not, but I wish I was. There are so many things about myself that I wish I could change and continue to feel frustrated at myself for continuing on in the same way time after time. Some of it is sin, some of it is just what I think other people like, a lot of it is a combination of the two. So today I figured I’d share with you a few of the things I wish I was. Hopefully, one day, I will be more of some of these things– by the sheer grace of God.
1. I wish I was a low maintenance friend. The kind of friend that brings joy, and life, and vitality instead of complaints, and discouragement, and boasting.
2. I wish I listened more than I talked.
3. I wish I asked good questions and listened carefully to the answers and remembered to follow up on those things people shared with me.
4. I wish I was a clear, concise communicator.
5. I wish I didn’t get myself all worked up about things all the time (like bad customer service, or the protracted singleness and rampant immorality in our country, or how people treat their pets better than other people).
6. I wish I didn’t settle for living in ways that I am intellectually convinced are wrong because I’m not willing to put forth the effort to live differently and want to live like everyone else too much.
7. I wish I answered people and spoke to people with gentleness and grace all the time.
8. I wish I wasn’t so emotional — and didn’t allow myself to get so overwhelmed at life at times.
9. I wish I was a problem solver and not just a problem talker in the philosophies of life…but also in the little day to day things, I wish I could think creatively and come up with solutions to problems.
10. I wish I was dependable, steady, consistent, reliable.
11. I wish I cared more about things that really matter and less about trivial things that make no difference.
12. I wish I was the type of person that no one would ever suspect was wealthy (if I were) because I spent so little money on myself.
13. I wish I didn’t draw so much attention to myself.
14. I wish I was realistic and not a dreamer (hahaha…that’s a funny statement. To start with “I wish…” and finish with “realistic and not a dreamer).
15. I wish I was organized and on top of things.
16. I wish I had the type of mindset that just plows through when things get hard instead of trying to find a way out so things just aren’t so hard anymore.
17. I wish I encouraged people more and lectured them less.
18. I wish I wasn’t opinionated or dominant.
19. I wish I was wise.
20. I wish I was the type of person who, the moment something goes wrong, trusts God is up to something good and keeps trusting no matter how long it takes to see what God was up to.
In the following posts I’ll write about how I use these things to think about the gospel and preach it to myself in ways that make it real and pertinent to me.